Thursday 16 May 2013

75 Bible Questions – 63


Isn’t Christ’s Kingdom In This World?
John 18:36  “Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.””

This passage is far too often misunderstood as Jesus teaching that his kingdom is not on earth but in heaven, which is not true and is taking the verse out of contexts, something we must be very careful not to do.
When Jesus said this, he was being questioned by Pilate who had pointed out that he was a Roman official while Jesus, in his eyes, was just a religious leader, which was Pilate’s political view but Jesus pointed out the truth, that his kingdom and power did not come from the people or the earth; his power comes from God [we discussed the handing over of the kingdom in Question 62] and his kingdom is here on earth as Christians are a part of his kingdom.
If that were not true and his kingdom did come from this world, then it would be as Jesus said “my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews,” because Jesus would have been a popular figure to the people but would not have had authority as the son of God.


John 18:33-38 “So Pilate entered his headquarters again and called Jesus and said to him, “Are you the King of the Jews?”  Jesus answered, “Do you say this of your own accord, or did others say it to you about me?”  Pilate answered, “Am I a Jew? Your own nation and the chief priests have delivered you over to me. What have you done?”  Jesus answered, “My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world.”  Then Pilate said to him, “So you are a king?” Jesus answered, “You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world—to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.”  Pilate said to him, “What is truth?””

Matthew 6:10Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.”

Luke 17:20-21  Being asked by the Pharisees when the kingdom of God would come, he answered them, “The kingdom of God is not coming in ways that can be observed, nor will they say, ‘Look, here it is!’ or ‘There!’ for behold, the kingdom of God is in the midst of you.””

No comments:

Post a Comment